Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tuesday Tangent with Jaime Samms

I dreamed, like any kid, that I would do great things as a grown-up. I dreamed the usual things for a little girl. Ballet dancer, rock star, veterinarian and that someone rich and famous would arrive in a long limo with a pool in the back and tell my parents I was their long-lost relative and that they wanted me back in the fold. I would be moving to someplace glamorous and far, far away where everyone would finally 'get' me.






Well.

That didn't happen.

 Then one day, I wrote this story that a few people read and didn't hate. I wrote it because I had exhausted the books from the local library I felt like reading and was on the waiting list for those that hadn't been written yet--authors can be sooo slow!--and I had run out of money and books I was willing to part with for the local used book shop. (I was fifteen. cash was in short supply). I needed new reading material and so I figured the next best thing to do was to write a story I wanted to read and then read it.

 Fast forward, intersperse a wedding, a few kids and various evil--and some not-so-evil day jobs, and I wrote a few more stories. Friends suggested I try submitting them places and I did, on a whim. Eventually, a publisher also didn't hate what I'd written, and there it was. A published story.



 It was never really a full-fledged dream. Not like the rock star gig I was sure would fall in my lap some day soon. It was more like this thing I did to feed the hunger in my soul for more words. Words in the right combination to create characters I could love, situations I would engage in, and happy endings I could believe in.

 By the time a little company called Dreamspinner came along, I was just discovering that a middle-aged housewife could, in fact, still have a dream. Or, more important, could still make a dream come true, if she worked at it. And I did work, and the gossamer strands of a dream, barely formed, was spun into reality that keeps growing the more I work. It barely seems like actual work, these days. More like I'm spinning more dreams for the characters who bring me their stories so I can write them down and give them a sort of reality where happily ever after is true.

 The best part is, I get to explore some of the more risque dreams and desires of the characters I write about. I think its probably pretty clear that my favourite one has to do with alpha men and the exchange of power. I do write about that one a lot, even when the men involved are long-time friends but new to sharing the connection of strength in exchange for trust. A lot of the healing in Scars on His Heart come from this exchange, in fact. I think when Cam and Joe share their desire to be one another's strength, to give things the other doesn't have, to trust each other, that's when real, deep healing begins.




Scars on His Heart

After a disastrous five years away at college, Joe returns to his aunt's farm and finds his childhood sweetheart Cameron eager to rekindle their relationship. Joe has a hard time confessing that he didn't come home until now because he's only just managed to leave Andre, his controlling boyfriend, and has a harder time renewing his submissive role in his affair with Cam. Cam thinks he has to find a way to remind Joe how to be strong. But what Cam doesn't realize is that Joe is strong, strong enough to leave behind a life of shame—though he's terrified his past will catch up to him. Joe must confront his ex and take back his own life, on his own terms, before he's able to give Cam everything they both desire.






Scars on His Heart is available from Dreamspinner Press.



Jaime Samms has been writing for various publishers since the fall of 2008, although she's been writing for herself far longer. Often asked why men; what’s so fascinating about writing stories about men falling in love, she's never come up with a clear answer. Just that these are the stories that she loves to read, so it seemed to make sense if she was going to write, they would also be the stories she wrote.These days, you can find plenty of free reading on her website. She also writes for Freya’s Bower, Jupiter Gardens, and Total E-Bound.

 Spare time, when it can be found rolled into a ball at the back of the dryer or cavorting with the dust bunnies in the corners, she's probably spending crocheting, drawing, gardening (weather permitting, of course, since she is Canadian!) or watching movies. She has a day job, as well, which she loves, and two kids, but thankfully, also a wonderful husband who shoulders more than his fair share of household and child care responsibilities.

 She graduated some time ago from college with a Fine Arts diploma, and a major in textile arts, which basically qualifies her to draw pictures and create things with string and fabric. One always needs an official slip of paper to fall back on after all....


Website          Facebook          Livejournal         
DeviantArt          Twitter          Amazon Author Page






2 comments:

  1. Aloha Jaime.

    Love your blog post. :-). I'm also keen on the limo idea and I'll swap you a rock star dream for a movie star dream. :-). In the meantime I write too and love it. Lol.

    Very fun to read and I love what you write. Excellent. Thanks and aloha Meg Amor. :-)

    ReplyDelete