Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday Tangent with Karenna Colcroft


Friendship, Music, and Love

One of my favorite romance tropes is “friends to lovers.” I don’t know how often it happens in real life. I can say it’s never happened to me. But for some reason, the idea of two longtime friends realizing they have feelings for each other and taking that friendship to a new level is just plain appealing.


I also have a bit of a soft spot for musicians, especially those who start young. A group of boys in my eighth grade class started a band that lasted through high school, though after graduation they went their separate ways. At a high school where I taught for a little while, some guys started a band that later partially merged with another local band. Those guys went somewhere; through a few different incarnations, they have three or four albums released now as Sparks the Rescue.

In my upcoming Dreamspinner Press release Love Like Vampires, I combined the two. Shane and Thaniel have been friends since elementary school and bandmates since middle school. Shane’s always had feelings for Thaniel, but has kept them to himself because he believes Thaniel is straight. But Thaniel is actually bi, and has always been too nervous to confess his feelings to Shane.

Now they’ve admitted they’re in love with each other, but their relationship might not survive conflict within the band or a prejudiced potential manager who can’t stand the thought of Shane and Thaniel being openly gay.

The book’s title is the name of Shane and Thaniel’s band, which is taken from the title of a song by Sparks the Rescue. The music business doesn’t go smoothly for Shane and Thaniel, and neither does their relationship, but they keep working at it.

Love Like Vampires officially releases July 30, and I’ll be celebrating that day on the Dreamspinner Press blog. Meanwhile, the book is available for pre-order in both e-formats and print




Love Like Vampires

All Thaniel Robichaud has ever wanted is for his band to hit the big-time. All Shane McCarthy has ever wanted is Thaniel.

Friends since childhood, Thaniel and Shane started making music together while still in junior high school. In the ten years since, they’ve taken their band, Love Like Vampires, from struggling over chords in Thaniel’s basement to headlining at clubs, and recently they opened for one of rock’s biggest names. Along the way, Shane stunned Thaniel with a proclamation of love, and when Thaniel returned his feelings, their relationship gave them the strength to weather the rough patches. But with the band about to break apart, it may not be enough to hold everything together. Their dream is slipping through their fingers just as they're perched on the cusp of success.






**********



Karenna Colcroft is the alter ego of a shy, sedate wife and mother. She began writing erotic romance in 2006 on a challenge from a friend. Karenna believes love isn’t limited by gender, anatomy, or number, and that everyone deserves to find love no matter what their pasts have held. She lives in the northeastern United States with her real-life romance hero husband, two children, and three cats. 

Find out more about Karenna and her books on her website,  or like her on Facebook.













4 comments:

  1. I'm keeping the release date on my calendar. I look forward to reading it. I like the idea of long time friends becoming lovers. It's never happened to me either but a girl can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Karenna. :-)

    I like the sound of this book. The blurb has captured me. I'll look out for it too. My sister married her best friend. It hit her one day as she watched him kiss someone else. She stomped of home and sat pissed off. Then she clicked why she was so upset. Voila. :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good one, going on my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone :) Meg, that's awesome about your sister and her friend!

    ReplyDelete